Sunday, January 22, 2012

Leadership Series - Part III - Use the Experience Around You

We often find ourselves in awkward situations that are very uncomfortable to deal with.  When we are placed in a position of authority, it probably happens more often than we would like.  There are two situations I had to deal with that stick out in my mind. 

In the first situation, I was given management responsibilities at a very young age and had a number of employees working for me who had much more experience (and yes, age) than I did.  Anyone who has been in that situation will have heard the expression, "I have been here for fifteen years and THIS is the way we have always done it."  Well, THIS may not necessarily be the best way to do it.  But how is the new guy/gal supposed to gain the respect of the people who have been there forever and who are twice his/her age?  Awkward!

In the second situation, I was asked to take over the amalgamation of two units that both had managers.  I was to become the new manager with both of the previous managers reporting to me.  They each had the respect of their staff.  Double awkward!

In situations like these it is necessary to gain credibility as soon as possible. I tried to sit down with each of the people reporting to me as soon as possible to understand their role and to ask for their continuing support.  After all, they are the experts. I don't say that facetiously.  They have been there and understand the business so their input is invaluable.  It won't ALL be valuable advice. For example, when I was a young upstart manager and met with one veteran staff member, he told me that I should always be late for everything. Come in to work late, arrive at meetings late...  He said that was the best way to establish that I was the boss.  Some advice can  be ignored, but much of it is valuable.

In a small organization it is possible to meet with each staff member individually.  However, in larger organizations where there are organizational layers, the manager has to be sure to maintain the lines of accountability and authority.  Meeting with employees below the level reporting to you can make those reporting to you feel threatened or blur the lines of accountability.  If you want to meet with employees below your direct reports, do it with them.  

Yes, you have to establish yourself as the boss and build your credibility but do it through positive actions and build your team.  You need help and that comes in the form of your staff and their experience.  Use that experience.  Make sure they are aware that you need their help. Thank them for their advice.  Make them feel that they are an important part of the organization you are trying to build.  Everyone wants to make a contribution in this world. Some are more equipped than others but use the skills that everyone brings to the table and you will gain buy-in and much needed credibility and respect.  And if you want to think about it in a slightly selfish way, think about it this way. They will make you look good! 

Henry B. Adams said, "All experience is an arch, to build upon."  I believe it is not only your own experience.  Use the experience of those around you and it will turn into the building that the arch leads into!!

Next week's topic will be "Would Somebody Please make a Decision"




No comments:

Post a Comment